Re: [OM] Spotmeters

Subject: Re: [OM] Spotmeters
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 11:02:58 -0500
Not over here, Chief Constable. The Associated Press Stylebook, which was our
bible in the newspaper business, was clear, even strident, about writing out
numbers less than 10, that is, single digits, and using the numerals for those
greater than nine. Variations include using numbers if there is a decimal point
in the number. Write “nine lords a leaping,” but write “9.7 lords a leaping.”

Personally, I tend to expand the rule to writing out numbers from one to
nineteen, and using numerals for anything greater. But that’s a personal
preference.

I have a copy of Strunk & White, which is the _real_ grammar and usage bible,
but I’m too lazy to dig it out and look it up. Can’t even say for sure if they
address the point.

I know, a grammar and usage bible should be to my right hand, but, alas, it’s
not. Grammatically speaking, I live wild, free and dangerous. <g>

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Neanderthal