Re: [OM] IMG: a lunch in the countryside

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: a lunch in the countryside
From: ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 14:38:00 +0000
‘Unique' means one, no other, Chuck.  If he’s done it before you can’t call it
unique.  And it caused me no confusion (otherwise I should have admitted
confusion :-)), but it’s a misuse of the word.

And misuse of words like ‘unique’ or ‘literally’ robs the language of powers of
expression.  The more we abuse the language, its vocabulary and its grammar,
the less expressive it is possible to be – without having constantly to explain
your words.  And superfluous explanation is what we find people doing because
the more words we lose to abuse, the more ambiguous become those words.

That’s all I have to say about that . . . ;-)

Chris