Re: [OM] Digital BW filter tests

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital BW filter tests
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 15:06:58 -0600
> My L1 is curently on its way to Taiwan where an ebayer wanted along with
the
> mighty lens but I still don't understand why you folks insist on using in
> camera conversion when we all know that a good raw processor and a little
> attention and love of light would fare much further, with or without
filters

I've been tempted to send the L1 along to another home, but there are some
stark advantages to keeping it around. Its a loud camera and the viewfinder
absolutely whiffs the slow balls, but it is lovely in so many ways.
Probably the best reason to keep it around is that it keeps me from longing
after the Fujis which have the legacy-style controls.

I haven't plowed into all my testing with the E-3 and E-1, but I can see
where it keeps right up with the E-3 in resolving power, but is a trade-off
between higher-ISO noise and increased usable dynamic range. The DZ lenses
just don't seem to look as good on the L1 as they do on the E-3, but the
legacy OM lenses seem to do a little better on the L1 than the E-cameras.

In-camera JPEG files of any form (BW or Color) is the subject of the day. I
feel that as "off" Adobe's converter is in regards to general color
pleasure with skintones, it makes up for it in overall usability. Lightroom
has finally grown up enough where its the way to go, but not without
knowing that you are losing something along the way. Probably the only
descriptive word I can think of is "wholesomeness".

Do I shoot in-camera JPEGs? Well, with the L1, there is no choise. Shooting
RAW files always results in a JPEG file too. There are occasions where I do
end up using the JPEG just because the converter nailed it better. I will
also shoot in-camera JPEGs if I'm shooting for quick distribution. The
ability to use the Eye-Fi card and my cellphone to shoot, select and
distribute to my client in an event shoot is wonderful. I do it quite often
for myself, too, when I want to post something to FB or email something to
a friend, family member or collegue.

I'm enjoying getting to know the E-3, and it's certainly a HUGE advancement
over the E-1 in many ways, but the E-1 is a far superior camera than the
E-3 or L1 when it comes to "battlefield conditions" where you want to make
quick changes with as little distraction as possible. Even something as
simple as setting the focus mode is a huge deal.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx