[OM] IMG: The Nail Shop, II

Subject: [OM] IMG: The Nail Shop, II
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 06:59:15 -0500
Tina Manley posted:
"I'm back from bee-keeping class where there were 50 potential bee-keepers
in a town of 7,000 people!  I was surprised."
     Beekeeping--wonderful thing to do for anyone interested in gardening,
nature, or simply having an absorbing pursuit.  Thirty years ago I was
running 600+ colonies of bees for honey production in Minnesota and nearby
counties in Wisconsin.  Hauled some of my colonies to North Dakota for
honey production from sunflowers, and also hauled some to the Big Thicket
section of SE Texas for making "nucs," ie., small colonies with new
queens.  Loved nearly every aspect of beekeeping back then;  now varroa
mites and some other pests have made beekeeping a far more difficult task.
Still, to have a hive or two on some acreage can be an extremely rewarding
experience.  Best of luck with your efforts to have a bee hive or two,
Tina.  Let us know how they do.  Great opportunity for some macro shots,
too.
     We're in southern Florida for five weeks, and the miles and miles of
orange groves are starting to bloom.  Great smells in the air, and there
are scores of bee hives (four to a pallet for easy moving) set out to get a
crop of orange blossom honey.
Dean