Re: [OM] OT: wiring a Cat 5 cable to a wall plate

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: wiring a Cat 5 cable to a wall plate
From: Brian Gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 17:32:43 +0000
Mike Lazzari said<
Tip: before buying check the CAT5 to make sure that you can actually see
and determine the color of the individual wires. I have a roll where it
is near impossible to distinguish the subtle shades. No wonder it was
cheap.>
and ChrisB advised similarly about the face plate.
Been there, done that!
Another point about the face plate is the depth of box required (associated with
 the geometry of the terminal block - parallel or perpendicular to the face plat
e surface) and the means, if any, of securing the CAT5/6 cable against wires bei
ng pulled out of the terminals.  For the components I used recently, the two poi
nts were linked, but I do not know about other items on the market.

I also was glad of the U-tube video to guide me through parts of the connection
process when I wished to make a hard-wired link through a floor to the hall belo
w rather than rely on a wifi connection.

Brian Gray