Re: [OM] blue gold or whatever

Subject: Re: [OM] blue gold or whatever
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 17:03:09 -0600
> Some of this stuff drives me crazy, and I, in turn, drive Carol crazy. :-)

I married her sister.

> Carol doesn't see the difference between invented future or other world
> stuff and things that exist in the world we live in right now and only work
> in particular ways. She says "It's all a story! Get over it and watch the
> story, or at least let me watch it."

One of the most entertaining disconnects with reality is the recent
movie "Noah".

> Far worse than that. "In this case, the V8 engine is more of a V7, one
> cylinder misfiring. I need to sit down and order parts sometime. ... So
> after I replace a spark plug and a couple of worn cylinder heads I keep
> tinkering, finally decide what the hell, I’ll replace the whole intake
> manifold. ... When I climb into the Chevelle, I slide the key into the
> ignition and for a second just listen to the throaty rumble of the engine.
> It’s a new car with the manifold replaced. I think it even gets better gas
> mileage, but it’s hard to tell when a good day averages about seventeen
> miles to the gallon."

LOL, well, that is certainly a bit of a stretch. It would be like me
trying to sound intelligent to my wife about music stuff. She's the
one with the degree in music and a professional musician. I happen to
like hip-hop.

> The misinformation and misunderstanding is very, very deep. The author and
> editor should have consulted someone at least slightly more knowledgeable.

Before my wife's book got published, it went through three different
passes of editing and fact-checking. This is something the one-lung,
self-publishing people usually don't don't.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx