Re: [OM] Back home again

Subject: Re: [OM] Back home again
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 11:56:58 -0500
Thanks for the report. I agree that my E-1 is the best handling camera of those I have owned.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 3/8/2015 10:19 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
On Saturday, we finished up taking senior portraits of my eldest
daughter. My goodness--can it be that she's actually turning 18 in a
few months?

Anyway, DD#2 and I have been doing the photography, with my daughter
actually doing the majority of it. Yes, she's really really good.

In just three hours or so, we shot about 1500 pictures. We used the
L1, E-1 and E-3. I used the L1 and E-1.

This is the first time that I've been able to do a direct head-to-head
comparison of these cameras for portraiture. It is interesting to
compare these in lightroom.

In a nutshell, the E-1 is still the finest portraiture camera. The
skintones are simply amazing and the files are a pure pleasure to work
with. Between the L1 and E-3, the L1 has a far better sensor. I
remember testing this before and found that the L1 could resolve as
much as the E-3 and I still believe this to be true.

While we didn't do high-ISO portraiture, this time, I do find that the
E-3 is the best camera of the three for ISOs between 400-1600.

For B&W conversions, there is certainly something unique about the L1
and those files do the best job of converting to monochrome. The E-3
files convert better to monochrome than the E-1 files too, but the E-1
files just want to scream color! Almost without exception, the E-1
files have a "richness" that is missing in the others--especially in
the shadows.

For handling, the E-3 has the best viewfinder and LCD. Live-view comes
in handy for ground-level shots. Metering is also a bit better than
the E-1. And image-stabilization is a game-changer. Yet, the E-1 is,
by far, the better handling camera. And AWB works best in it too. All
three cameras were set to aperture-priority mode with matrix metering.

It's really interesting to see how each camera has strengths and
weaknesses. I understand that the latest/greatest OM-D cameras are
"perfect" in every regard, and I'll be tempted to get one when they
too are "obsolete".

I thought that it is about time for me to get rid of the L1, but that
ain't happening. It is a near perfect match to the OM Zuiko 100/2.

Grand total for the senior portrait session? Over 2500 pictures. Seems
about right.

AG Schnozz