Re: [OM] IMG: Tom and Julio

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Tom and Julio
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 08:07:09 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>We finally made it out of Havana and into the countryside.  Veñales was one
>of my favorite parts of Cuba - lots of farms, small towns, and very
>friendly people.  We were photographing a farmer and his two Brahma bulls
>hauling water back to his house.  Tom showed him is photo on the back of
>the camera:
>
>http://www.pbase.com/image/159408417
>
>Just a record shot, but Julio Diez invited us to his house for coffee.
>More photos later.

     The landscape in the background reminds me of what I saw in Puerto Rico
when working at the Arecibo Observatory.  Most of the island chain from Cuba to
the Virgin Islands is comprised of an uplifted coral reef, with limestone
dominating the strata.  A lot of it collapsed after rising above the sea,
resulting in a dramatic landscape of cliffs.  Further eastward along the chain
the islands are primarily volcanic sea mounts.

     The Arecibo Observatory has a small river passing beneath it through a
natural tunnel.  To keep water from accumulating in the bowl they simply bored
a hole straight down to the tunnel and then put a heavy steel grate on top.  I
hiked down to the entrance to that tunnel a couple of times.  There is a small
stone arched bridge crossing the river.  Wish I had taken photos of that when I
was there.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson