Re: [OM] Got a New Toy

Subject: Re: [OM] Got a New Toy
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 11:35:48 -0400
Nice find, Boris. Classic stereo components can be had for nearly nothing
these days. I did the same with a Marantz 2215B that I picked up for a song
and had refurbished (pots cleaned, caps replaced) for about a hundred
bucks. Sounds great hooked up to my old Dual turntable. Its funny. When I
was a kid I listened to a little Japanese transistor radio. As I grew older
we all moved up to nice high fidelity systems. Now most people listen to
music with an iPod which, when played through its external speaker, sounds
like a vintage Japanese transistor radio. These days I troll the upscale
neighborhoods the day before trash pick up. People throw out perfectly good
stereo systems. In my office I have a Technics SE-A50 power amp hooked up
to a Hafler preamp along with Technics CD player and dual cassette deck all
picked up from the side of the road. The owner was moving and was tired of
lugging them around. "I only listen to my iPod now; take them."

Charlie