Re: [OM] Zuiko Dinner Fest Portraits

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko Dinner Fest Portraits
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 16:25:29 -0700
I really do like the new Moose hat obtained at Nepenthe in Big Sur.

As do I, but this isn't it. Nepenthe was the next day. That new hat has quite a dip in the front, trés stylish/rakish, and would have shown less forehead, with eyes just peeping out beneath it.

What you see here is a $3 hat from the thrift store in Freeport , Maine - which
comes with a story.

The woman at the counter had been charging what seemed high prices, both to me and the other employees, so I had only bought a couple of things. Then she left. The new counter woman told me this hat had been given by her granddaughter to the her son, the granddaughter's father, but he didn't wear it. So she, grandmother/counter woman, had brought it into the store that day, and was happy to sell it to someone who appreciated it at a price to make up at least in part for the previous overcharges.

It also recovers nicely from being smashed flat in a suitcase, which I don't
think the new one will do.

Moose is quite photogenic, IMO.

{Blush}

The DZ 45/1.8 does work quite well for portraits
though what I have seen of the 42.5/1.2 Panny-Leica Nocticron, the latter is a
bit better with smoother bokeh, though at a premium price as well as
size/weight considerations. It does have the aperture control (doesn't seem to
work on Oly bodies) but has OIS too if required.

And now the new 42.5/1.7 with IS from Panny, just to confuse things. I commented in the post about it on TOP on how Panny seems to be correcting their disadvantage vs. Oly. Without IBIS, their non IS primes are really better in the dim on Oly bodies than on their own.

I fell down on the job by not shooting one of Marnie.

As did I, at that time, but that will be corrected - soon. I think the light
wasn't right where she was sitting for dinner.

I had the Cosina Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL-I with me and a nice flash which is
great for portraits, but sometimes a bit to sharp even wide open. I often take
it or the Z. 85mm/f2 on trips. The CV has better bokeh with the background at
about 10ft then the Z. 85,  but both are very nice. Here is one of Marnie from
a recent trip with the CV90 at f3.5 and fill flash:

http://tinyurl.com/lptph9o

Ah yes, I remember that - nice!

Serious omission, Mike

I took several on the trip, all will be well. :-)

Photgenographic Moose