[OM] Another Zuiko Fest Portrait - plus IBIS

Subject: [OM] Another Zuiko Fest Portrait - plus IBIS
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 17:00:53 -0700
As promised, a portrait of Marnie, at Point Lobos.
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=16572>

As a bonus, it's an illustration of the performance of the IBIS of the E-M5 II.

We were all on the move, so I only had a second to grab a couple of shots, The first was blurry, this second, where I yelled to stop walking for a second, is pretty amazing.

Distance, 40 m, 140 ft., focal length 300 mm, shutter speed 1/20 sec, hand held. With a 600 mm lens on FF with no IS, it would be a surrealist blur. I've found the old rule of 1/FL for FF isn't fast enough in these days of clean, high rez sensors and pixel peeping, especially with super tele. But even going with that, this shot is five stops slower.

At 100%, it's not all that sharp, but nonetheless, as 600 mm, hand held at 1/20, it's amazing. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=16574> And at any reasonable full image viewing size, it's perfectly sharp.

I haven't thoroughly investigated, but it seemed to me I was getting some amazingly clean 300 mm shots at faster shutter speeds. I've always loved the 75-300. Many have commented how it's not all that sharp at the long end. I couldn't disagree, but found that deconvolution did a nice job of recovering fine detail.

Now it seems that at least part of the slight softness may have been IBIS limitations at 1-2 stops down from 2/FL (yes, I mean 2). The reviews I've read have mentioned, in some, improvements in macro, but neither they nor Oly's promotional materials have mentioned long tele. Based on the macro mentions, I was hoping for such an improvement, but this may be more than I had hoped for.

Investigation Continues Moose