Re: [OM] File losses

Subject: Re: [OM] File losses
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 08:49:28 -0400
Understood that syncing may corrupt the backup but that is still my preferred method since I prefer not to re-do some of the editing already done and I have further protection in that I have more than one backup.

For backing up my C drive I use cloning and always keep 2 versions. For things not on the C drive (such as my image files) I have for many years used SyncBack SE <http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbse.html> and I also have 2 copies done at different times. SyncBack provides different forms of backup but I choose to sync old and new.

The way SyncBack works (when syncing) is to create a log file of the files that will be copied from source to destination and those that will be deleted from the destination since they are no longer on the source. The items are color coded in the log such that they are easily recognized. SyncBack first does the analysis and then displays the log file. I examine the log file to see if it contains what I expect it to contain. If you approve of the log file contents you tell it to go ahead. I have been mildly surprised a few times by seeing something queued for deletion that I didn't remember deleting (based mostly on dates) but have never discovered an actual error. When I review the related image folder I have always found that I did indeed deliberately delete the now missing images. I've been using SyncBack for many years and have never known it to make an error. Recommended.

Besides, I actually delete very few images. I only delete truly bad images (poor focus, blown highlights, etc). Others that might possibly have some redeeming qualities usually go into a "Discard" folder.

Chuck Norcutt