Re: [OM] Zuiko Dinner Fest Portraits

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko Dinner Fest Portraits
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 20:32:08 -0700
Photgenographic Moose writes:

<<And now the new 42.5/1.7 with IS from Panny, just to confuse things. I
commented in the post about it on TOP on how Panny seems to be correcting their
disadvantage vs. Oly. Without IBIS, their non IS primes are really better in the dim
on Oly bodies than on their own.

Good to mention that one.  B&H doesn't list shipping until 5/15.  ...  The
Panny lists for a tad higher.

Different philosophies. The Oly comes with two caps. The Panny with caps, hood
and pouch.

Both have 37mm filter size.   May have to wait for reviews to know how they
compare but probably neither are a mistake.

I suspect only a couple of fanatics will find any practical difference in imaging. I know I'm happy with the Oly. Pretty hard to fault it in the informal portraits you and I took with it.

Would like perhaps a half to one stop faster for dof control.

Panny can do that, for a whole bunch more money, size and weight.I just checked; it's 50% greater in bulk and 40% heavier than the Oly 75/1.8!

As you now know, the size/weight of the 45/1.8 make it a delight to work with and quite un-intimidating for close in portraits.

The 75/1.8 is right out there at the edge of what I'm willing to carry around for a single FL.I haven't used it near enough to have a personal opinion on overall IQ, but I'll take the almost unanimous option about sharpness as a given. I'm a little less impressed with the little I've seen of bokeh. By the standard of so many contemporary fast designs, it's pretty good, so far. By any ultimate standard, eh.

I rather wish they had opted for consumer grade construction, like the 45/1.8, with the same optics. And the metal hood is just plain overkill for weight and price. It's neither small nor light, rather dwarfing the OM 85/2 and outweighing it about 17%. It IS smaller and lighter than the 90/2, but by then sheer glass size for the longer FL and the macro mechanics start to weigh in (literally)

Have seen only a handful of example images for the Panny.

  Have not used the Oly 25/1.8 as much as I had predicted due to no OIS and not
quite fast enough to blur many backgrounds.

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-g-lenses/h-hs043e.html

http://kurtmunger.com/olympus_45mm_f_1_8id335.html

Mike