Re: [OM] IMG - Weapons from the Past

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG - Weapons from the Past
From: Rick Beckrich <rbeckrich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 13:08:15 -0400
Nicely rendered, JIM. I carried a heavy bbl 10 for a number of years. Great
gun.
FWIW, the Swedes issued the O3 Colt with an inch longer bbll and slide in
7.65mm. Bought one mail order, back in the 50s for about $25... With flap
holster. I miss the old days!
On Mar 18, 2015 12:12 PM, "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Two of the most popular weapons of the first half of the Twentieth
Century were made by Smith & Wesson and Colt, and were popular for
different reasons.  The S & W Military and Police Model 1899 (later changed
to Model 10) was popular with military and police organizations world-wide,
and continued to be used until the introduction of modern automatic weapons
having more firepower.

> http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/S+_amp_+W+small.jpg.html
>
> The Colt Pocket Pistol, M1903 and M1908, was popular for an entirely
different reason.  Its concealed hammer and smooth design was designed for
concealed carry, with nothing to snag as it was withdrawn from a pocket or
purse.  It was used by Al Capone and many others of his time and
occupation, but was also issued to General Officers during WWII, including
Generals Eisenhower, Bradley, Marshall and Patton.