[OM] OT: evilBay Strikes Again!

Subject: [OM] OT: evilBay Strikes Again!
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 18:49:20 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Okay, I rant on this subject fairly often, and if evilBay would stop
self-destructing you wouldn't hear from me about this.

     Like a lot of people, I have saved searches that result in a few emails
every day to point out newly listed items, with the price, shipping cost, and
number of bids placed.  About a year ago, their cyber-toddlers decided to play
with the prices and shipping charges, so most items do not have those numbers.
Okay, I can take care of that by looking at the items that sound interesting.

     Earlier this week, the cyber-toddlers decided to go one step further.
They left the subject lines blank, and instead of sending the emails in
straight text as my settings dictate they instead sent them in HTML, which
results in emails that are 10-20 times larger than text and which are
incomprehensible as my webmail reader only does text.  It's a safeguard against
malware that can be riding piggyback.

     I was able to find the missing subject line in the early part of the HTML,
but today the cyber-toddlers went yet a step further: They buried the subject
line in a maze of incomprehensible HTML coding, so I had to resort to the URLs
I had saved for those searches in the event that this happened.  That takes a
lot of time on dialup, but there's no alternative other than going to the
coffee shop to use the wifi.

     Someone try to convince me that this is a positive step forward.  Just try.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson