Re: [OM] IMG: Airport Images

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Airport Images
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 14:33:27 -0700
On 3/22/2015 12:32 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
I have never mastered "layers", and now, after Elements 12 wouldn't run on my new computer, I am using Picture Window Pro,

[Visual of AG, doing Happy Dance.]

which has excellent tools, but they are different from the PS process. And, having done little post processing for the past year, I am having to learn the trade all over again.

Did you use "layers" in your processing of this image?

[Image of Moose, falling down, laughing helplessly.]

I wonder why you pit 'layers' in quotes. Do you do that when talking about a cake? They are exactly analogous to the layers of clear cellophane/plastic film used in visualizing multi-layered aspects of buildings, machinery, etc. and in old fashioned animation.

Where you paint a layer's mask black, whatever is on that part of it becomes invisible, so whatever is below is seen. The white parts of the layer mask allow what's on the layer to show, like the painting/printing on a physical layer that overlays part(s) of the ones below with new imagery. Painting parts an intermediate shade makes that part of the image on the layer translucent, to a degree determined by the darkness of the gray on the mask.

I'm sure you've seen the kinds of physical representations of different floors, levels, etc. of a physical thing on layers of transparent film. PS layers are just like that.

There were something over a dozen layers in this image as I worked on it. I'm not suggesting anyone else might use so many. But I use them profligately. Eyes need to be a little different, another layer. Face needs slightly different WB than the rest? Duplicate a new layer, select the face, click on the mask icon on the bottom, and I have a layer I can manipulate that will just change the face.

I have Actions (macros) set up for all the primary tools I use. If I'm going to use Curves, LCE, Levels, NR, etc., I click on an Action which duplicates the existing layer I'm on, then opens the tool to operate on that layer.

All this is really powerful. Not only in what one may do locally, but in the ability to change, radically, or subtly, or entirely undo, what I've done to a part of the image. I only have to alter the layer(s) carrying that part of the image, without any effect on later work I've done on other parts. Layers may be clicked to make them visible or not, to see what they have done.

Broody Hen Moose