Re: [OM] File losses

Subject: Re: [OM] File losses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 13:29:14 -0700
On 3/25/2015 1:42 AM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Update,

I now have a 1TB drive sitting in a "toaster"connected to the computer by an
eSATA cable, and am doing a total backup using NovaBACKUP professional
for which I even paid.

But it is SLOW; when first it started it looked as though it would be all done
in
just a few hours.
Now the forecast is that the total time will be about 3 days and nights.

As Chuck says, that is too slow. Something is likely awry. Be sure to check the
result before relying on it.

Finding the tools to format this new drive in XP was a mission; the tools are
very well hidden;

I'd not say hidden, I'd say not advertised. :-) Like other system utilities that can destroy your HDs if used improperly, they are not out front to be misused by the curious and foolish.

I had to get help - not available from Microsoft of course since they no longer
support XP.

Nor should you.

As I believe I've pointed out before, those who need XP for legacy software need only install the Pro versions of Win7 or 8, then download and install the XP virtual machine. It puts a full XP machine in a window. Way long ago, I designed software for my then employer. The development system I used creates 32 bit executables that run under current Windoze, but most of its own executables are 16 bit.

My baby is now a not so young adult that appears to have more lives than a cat. My old stomping grounds have been acquired in a multi billion $ deal. I figured that would end it. But no, the folks who will be running things are both long time users and new users who love it. So unexpectedly, I've been updating it for the new corporate organizational structure.

To do so, I've been working it virtual XP mode a lot, and it seems to be a transparent implementation. When in there, it's like being in a time warp, running an old XP machine - but MUCH faster.

Memories Moose