Re: [OM] Problems.....solutions?

Subject: Re: [OM] Problems.....solutions?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 23:00:36 -0700
On 3/28/2015 8:59 PM, dlmparker1@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
All members....

I am new to this list

Welcome aboard!

and someone here may be able to help and shed some light on a potential problem.

On the 12-40 pro zoom regardless of where  you are in the setup if you pull the
snap ring you go into manual focus. If you have magnify and peaking setup in
your camera then that also comes into play when you pull the snap ring back. It
works the same with the 40 -150 pro zoom. All very smooth and seamless.

I have a perhaps excessive menagerie of µ3/4 lenses. But as much of my love of µ4/3 is about size and weight, I have none of the lenses mentioned. The only pro type I have is the 75/1.8, which is right on my edge of size/weight, and doesn't have the snap ring for MF.

I'm not sure I get the point of the snap ring for MF. I can fine tune focus with the shutter release half way down with the focus rings on all my lenses. Sure, the ring reveals an old fashioned DoF scale, but I have a DoF preview button on the camera.

With the 17mm and apparently with the 12mm (the only prime lenses with a snap ring) when
you pull back the ring the manual focus becomes very "jerky"

As I understand it from reviews, the focus ring in normal position, MF set in camera, functions like most focus-by wire rings, nonlinear with speed at which it is turned and without hard stops at the ends. When you snap it mechanically to MF, it has to have an absolute FL relationship to rotation, shorter overall rotation and hard stops, for the DoF scale to work.

Reviewers have noted a significant difference in 'feel' between the two modes.

and the magnify and peaking modes are not implemented.

I know nothing about that. You could try snapping the ring into it's MF mode, then check the Menus. If the Magnify and Peaking Modes are greyed out, that would say it is intentional. If all else fails, how about asking Oly Customer Support?

If you set the camera menu to manual focus everything works very well. My
contact at Olympus tried his 17mm and 12mm as well as 2 or 3 other 17`s and
they all work the the same as mine so we concluded that may be the way it is.

And that may indeed just be the way it is, more a PRO style sales gimmick than
really useful.

I am not ready to give up but I need to do more research. I do not believe it
is correct. If it is......then why have the snap ring?

'Cause it says "serious" and "Pro".

AND, I find it hard to believe I am the only one complaining about this.

See what aggravation I saved, as well as money? I was inching toward the 12/2.0, but concerned how it would fit in to my still compact kit. When I found a Panny 14/2.5 pancake used in great shape for a LOT less money, it came to live with me; lookin' good so far.

I use the snap ring to manual focus often and coming from the rangefinder world (Leica
M’s) I find the peaking feature wonderful for these aging eyes. Split image
focusing for the old perhaps?

So just use the camera MF for actual shooting and only use the snap ring to
impress your friends. :-)

Thank you everyone in advance for you insight.

Good Luck,
  Peaking Moose