Re: [OM] 349 Declyn Court, Seasons

Subject: Re: [OM] 349 Declyn Court, Seasons
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 13:00:48 -0400
Thanks for the compliment. Technically, Murrells Inlet is not "low country". The region is "Grand Strand" which extends down to Georgetown. As the crow flies, we're about 3-1/2 miles from the ocean. Elevation here is about 25 feet... high enough that flood insurance is not required. The latest (not yet officially released maps) for hurricane storm surge say we're dry until category 4 when we'll have about 3 feet of water in the house. I'm not sure the house will survive even category 3 but have flood insurance anyway. My hurricane plan is self-evacuation to my daughter's house in North Carolina well before any storm arrives here. The local roads are such that any official evacuation will cause the two major highways here to become parking lots. I'm not waiting for that. :-)

What you see as standing water isn't just standing. It's a small pond created by a small stream that flows through it on the way to Collins Creek that in turn flows to the Waccamaw River that runs down the west side of the development. I have the same situation behind my house. The development was built on woods which are naturally swampy in this area. There used to be 3 rice plantations where Brookgreen Gardens is located about 6 miles south of here. Small streams flow through the development on the way to Collins Creek. The streams are surrounded by wooded areas and there are numerous irrigation ponds created by the developer that are fed by the streams and also return water to the streams if they overflow. The little streams may dry up temporarily if it hasn't rained in a while which may also leave standing pools. I'm sure there will be lots of mosquitoes but I have been surprised. I haven't yet heard any residents complain about them.

As to the couple of dead pines you pointed out I suspect they were probably killed by the construction work that created the retaining wall beside that house. That wall and house are about 6-7 years old. The natural pond may also have been deepened by the construction and overtaken the roots of the pines. There are many trees with their feet in the water around here but most are cypress or tupelo which do like to keep their feet wet. The trees are just now starting to bud here so it may look like there are more dead trees than there actually are.

No need to check "the area" again in a few weeks since "the area" is my own development. If they've got mosquitoes over there I'll have them just as bad here.

Thanks for the warnings but I think I'm fine and am highly unlikely to leave this place until they have to carry me out. I love it here. :-)

Chuck Norcutt