Re: [OM] Our own little gator

Subject: Re: [OM] Our own little gator
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 13:57:26 -0400
I just learned something. I knew that "Canebrake" rattlers were in South Carolina but, since I know that a Timber rattler is the same species and prefer mountainous territory, I assumed they were all in the northern part of South Carolina. As it turns out "Canebrake" and Timber rattlers, while technically the same species, do live in different habitats and were previously thought to be separate species. I was correct in assuming the Timber rattler was only in the north but it turns out that Canebrake rattlers live in all of the (roughly) 2/3 of the southern counties. One more snake to watch for... but they're stated to have a gentle disposition... assuming you don't step on them. :-)

Chuck Norcutt