Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 5/4/2015: my whisky altar

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 5/4/2015: my whisky altar
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 13:54:46 -0500
Bilge Bunging Bob wrote:
> But everyone’s mileage varies, and while having failed to develop a taste
for whisky/whiskey does not make you less of a human, it does deny you one
of the purer aspects of heaven on earth.

I'll say that "I've had my day."  I used to like rum. Didn't care for the
hangovers, but it was just sissy enough for me, yet not too embarrassing to
order. My gay roommates were always stocking the house with enough rum to
form a Caribbean island from the reef of empty bottles. We had some big and
wild parties at that house on the beach. Fortunately, due to my travel
schedule, I missed out on almost all of them, but it is fair to say that
they were legendary and the bedding would always have to get changed and
the carpets cleaned afterwards. The sherrif and state police knew our
address by heart. The coast guard did too after one couple went over the
cliff edge and fell 45 feet to the water below. (They were found bruised,
battered and naked about a half-mile down the beach). Willy Nelson's bus
had clearer air than that house. It was a fun year, living there, though.
Well, except for the cat.

But wine was definitely my adult beverage of choice. Somewhere along the
line, I learned what my metabolism rate was for alcohol and would try to
stay within that limit. At a party, alternating between drinks and always
having a full glass of something would keep me legal for driving. Through
my 20's I used to do a LOT of travel and drinking. Literally spent 1/3 of
my life in airplanes for 12 years and well over 3/4 of it on the go for a
couple of years. When I got married, I went dry and have only had a handful
of sips since. I miss the wine, but not anything else. It's a good thing,
making the change, because I knew that I was going down the road of
abuse/addiction/behavior and a drastic change was in order. I went dry for
a reason. I lived a VERY stupid and high-risk life and really don't need
that in my life now. I've gotten to be an expert at mixing drinks with
ginger ale and avoiding certain environments. Fortunately, I don't actually
remember what all happened, but I've seen pictures--I'm glad Flickr was
around yet!!!!  I long for a drink, once in a while, but it's a choice that
I made and have no regrets. I don't have a problem with anybody else around
me. I've learned that I have to make the choice within five seconds to say
"no" otherwise, I'll struggle all night with it.

For drink snobbery, I've turned my focus to tea and coffee. But in all
honesty, I find OM snobbery to be much more fulfilling than any drink
snobbery I've ever had. But a good espresso is an amazing thing.

AG