Re: [OM] My high school

Subject: Re: [OM] My high school
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 16:22:40 -0400
I don¹t know about Paul¹s school, but I can answer with regards to Fort
Wayne. Fort Wayne Community Schools, the district that owns Elmhurst and
that I work for now as a teacher, is Indiana¹s largest public school
district. We have about 45,000 kids and 51 schools. Five of the schools
are regular high schools and one is a vocational high school. When
Elmhurst was open it was the smallest high school, with only about 800
kids. Each of the five academic high schools now has about 2000 students.

The budget cutting here was caused by the state government under Mitch
Daniels (the current governor¹s predecessor) enacting a law arbitrarily
cutting all property taxes, even though the state government does not
collect any property taxes; they¹re all levied by local governments.
Public schools here are funded primarily with property taxes. It should be
noted that public schools here are NOT controlled by city or county
governments. Each school district is completely independent of local
government. They have elected school boards, which makes the directly
responsible to citizens rather than to higher levels of government. The
school districts levy their own property taxes that are separate from
property taxes that support city and county government here.

By arbitrarily capping property taxes without giving the schools another
funding source, the state has severely damaged public education. Most
school districts here had to close schools, some had to discontinue school
bus service (state law forbids schools to charge for bus transport. If
they offer it, it has to be free). Others have fired experienced teachers
who were paid high salaries. FWCS fared better than most. For all of the
economic problems here, Fort Wayne is still one of the wealthiest
communities in the state, and as the second largest city we have a large
enough tax base that we didn¹t have to fire teachers or cut art and music
programs. We closed one school out of the 52 we had previously.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook