Re: [OM] OM-4T much louder than OM-2n?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4T much louder than OM-2n?
From: John Hermanson <omtech1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 06:36:04 -0400
And I am still repairing it.

a lot.  Made the mistake of selling that years ago and recently
decided to buy another OM camera.  Ended up buy an OM-4T plus 3 OM
lenses (24/2.8, 40/2, 90/2 macro).

Welcome aboard!!!! I'm one of a handful of people on this list that still
actively shoot the OM system and am still growing it.

The one thing I've noticed as a negative so far is that the OM-4T
shutter/mirror sound seems to be a lot louder than what I remember
with my OM-2n.  This may just be my memory of the OM-2n or the fact
that my other film camera is a very quiet Leica MP.  Is the OM-4T as
much louder than an OM-2n as I think it is?

I'm going to answer that with a "it depends". The OM-2n is a very special
camera and likely the second most finely-tuned OM cameras made. The OM-3Ti
being the best. The OM-4T(4Ti) is a strange beast. I have two of them and
they sound quite a bit different from each other. One is metallic sounding
and the other has a more classic OM sounding double-thump. So, I'm thinking
that you may just be dealing with sample-variation.

I actively use two OM-4T an one OM-3Ti bodies with an OM-2S getting the
occasional escape from Shelfatrass. I'd use the OM-2S more, but I don't
like to mix-and-match control interfaces when I'm shooting with two bodies.

Another factor about the OM-4T is what lens is on it. The sound does change
depending on the lens selection.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx