Re: [OM] Lotus

Subject: Re: [OM] Lotus
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 15:29:59 +0100
Welcome back, Michael - and congratulations to your daughter on getting into
Durham, doesn't seem that long ago that she was looking for a UK school!

Here is what Lens Collector's Vade Mecum has to say about Goerz Double
Anastigmat (slightly cut down) - I guess yours must be from very early 20th
century:

==
Goerz, C.P. A.G, Berlin -Friedenau, Germany.
Double Anastigmat Series 111 f7.7 3.5-35in (1892), from 1892 1.625-4.74-16.5in
later.
It was suggested to use 18cm for 13x18 at f6.8 but it would cover 21x27cm
closed down. It covers 70-90°, and the f7.7 series was continued after 1900
when the shorter versions were redesigned to work at f6.8- though there may
have been some redesign optically.

Series 111 1900 f6.8 40, 60, 75, 90, 100, 120, 135, 150, 165, 180, 210, 240,
270mm in 1922.
Longer sizes were made, e.g. 300mm in 1910. The increase in aperture was due to
the use of new glass in 1900, but the faster lenses were not made in all focal
lengths. The new version was still for 70-90° angle. Thus 90mm will just about
cover 5x4 but 75mm will definitely not. The new glass seems to be hard and
wears well, but many are now yellow due to the balsam colouring, and some cases
of balsam failure have been seen. These lenses will be from 1900 to 1904, when
Goerz began to name their lenses.
==

It goes on to talk about the numerous Dagor lenses, which seem to be later than
D-A.

Piers