Re: [OM] Dogwood

Subject: Re: [OM] Dogwood
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 04:48:03 -0400
Would you say you’re up late, or early? I couldn’t sleep so I made a cuppa tea
and came to mess around on the computer.

I’m thinking of the big, wide dogwoods, probably carefully pruned, etc., that
decorate such august places as the campus of the University of North Carolina
at Chapel Hill. But then the mountain varieties are nice as well. There’s a
certain progression to spring in Southern Appalachia: first come the redbuds,
then the dogwoods. By then it’s clear winter is a thing of the past and the
long Southern summer is at hand.

One of the benefits of living where I did, on the edge of the Blue Ridge
Escarpment, was that in late winter I could drive down the mountain to Tryon,
in what’s called the Thermal Belt, and enjoy an early spring. Then there was
spring in Hooterville, my home town, and after it stated to fade there, all one
had to do was cruise ever higher in the Blue Ridge to keep spring going almost
into July—and never more than 30 miles in any direction.

But I still like Maine better. <g>

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Neanderthal