[OM] m.Zuiko 12-50.... arrrgghh!!!

Subject: [OM] m.Zuiko 12-50.... arrrgghh!!!
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 19:12:31 -0400
Today I was trying (for the first time ever) to build a 2-row pano. I was shooting at 30mm using a very precise hyperfocal distance of 20 feet at f/9 and had just about completed the lower row when the E-M1 suddenly starting acting strangely. The viewfinder screen was failing to light until *after* I took a shot. It would then briefly show me a preview and the screen would go dark again. Since I only had a couple shots to go I guestimated the angles from the previews and finished up with the bottom row.

I decided that the camera, being like all other computers, eventually needs to be rebooted. So I turned it off and back on and then proceeded to start with the top row. That did seem to fit it. I pointed the camera higher for the top row and just started swinging the camera on the tripod and firing the shutter while mostly watching out for people entering the field of view. When I was about half way through my mind suddenly said: There's something wrong here.

The something wrong was that the lens was no longer at 30mm and no longer focused at 20 feet. It was then that it dawned on me. This fully automated, electronic lens returns itself to 12mm and (probably) infinity focus when it powers down or up (I don't know which). I was furious. Rain was threatening and I was hurrying to try and get done. Now I had to reset the lens to 30mm, get out my tape measure again and place my hat 20 feet away for a focus target before I could get started again on the top row. Arrrghh! Double arrgghh!

The damned thing is just like a point & shot. The lens returns "home" when it powers down. Careful out there in m.Zuiko land. Who'd a thunk it? I still haven't figured out what caused the loss of video image that started all this. I should have looked in the viewfinder to see what was going on in there but didn't.

Chuck Norcutt