Re: [OM] m.Zuiko 12-50.... arrrgghh!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] m.Zuiko 12-50.... arrrgghh!!!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 21:28:47 -0700
On 4/16/2015 4:12 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Today I was trying ... There's something wrong here.

The something wrong was that the lens was no longer at 30mm and no longer focused at 20 feet. It was then that it dawned on me. This fully automated, electronic lens returns itself to 12mm and (probably) infinity focus when it powers down or up (I don't know which). I was furious. Rain was threatening and I was hurrying to try and get done. Now I had to reset the lens to 30mm, get out my tape measure again and place my hat 20 feet away for a focus target before I could get started again on the top row. Arrrghh! Double arrgghh!

The damned thing is just like a point & shot.

Not necessarily. The Panny ZS40 P&S has a Menu option to choose whether the zoom returns to where it was set when turned off or returns to full WA when turned on. Very useful on a P&S with such a loooong zoom range.

The lens returns "home" when it powers down. Careful out there in m.Zuiko land. Who'd a thunk it?

This strikes me as mostly operator misunderstanding/error.

If, as I always do, you use the 12-50 lens in manual zoom Mode, rather than electronic zoom, powering off and on doesn't change the zoom setting. Yes, I just tried it to confirm my experience. Even if you used the power zoom to set up, if you had had pulled it back in to Manual Zoom Mode before shooting, the zoom setting would not have changed. I wish there were a way to just disable the Auto option.

Whether the lens maintains focus is a Menu option.

Custom Menu A: "Reset Lens - When set to [On], this resets the focus of the lens (infinity) each time the power is turned off."

Had you had that turned off, you would still have been focused as set before. The Mark II manual goes further, saying that Power Zoom lens FL will also be reset. Whether this is further explication or an added function of the Mark II, I don't know. But it's simpler, and surer, to put it in Manual Zoom Mode.

Full power zoom lenses, that expand and collapse, like the Panny X and the Oly EZ 14-42 lenses, would have to have memory of their zoom FL stored when turned off. I don't know if that happens.

I still haven't figured out what caused the loss of video image that started all this.

Not sure, but not unlikely, that a dangling strap, coat, stray hand, etc. set off the EVF Auto Switch to the EVF. That happens more easily than one might like. Again, when doing careful work like this, switching Auto off and setting to the VF you want to use is less likely to lead to trouble.

I should have looked in the viewfinder to see what was going on in there but
didn't.

YUP! Might have saved a lot of trouble and upset - or not.

Freedom and control mean there are more ways to make errors. :-)

Degrees of Freedom Moose