Re: [OM] m.Zuiko 12-50.... arrrgghh!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] m.Zuiko 12-50.... arrrgghh!!!
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 08:21:02 -0400
The 12-50 is normally a lesser used lens. I think I had used it once in manual zoom mode and forgotten about it. I'm not sure why since I don't like that power zoom. I have it set to manual zoom now and will leave it there. I've also turned "reset lens" to off.

As to the loss of the display on the screen (except review of the image just shot) that's still a mystery. I thought you had discovered the reason with: "Not sure, but not unlikely, that a dangling strap, coat, stray hand, etc. set off the EVF Auto Switch to the EVF." However, trying this out doesn't completely fit the observations. When this was happening the screen was completely blank. It's possible to get a completely blank screen but it requires both that the EVF switch has turned off the image display AND the info button setting has turned off all info displays. While less likely that both things were set that way it was still possible. In fact, I first thought likely. When I started the shooting sequence I was using the histogram to set the exposure. Near the end of the sequence I remember being bothered by the histogram blocking my view and turned it off. That last step actually turns off all info displays. A perfect setup for losing the image if I accidentally hit the EVF button. I think that was possibly more likely since I was shooting vertical with buttons in unfamiliar locations.

However, the final step doesn't fit the scenario since this image/info setting is retained after power off/on. In the case I was describing, the image returned after power off/on. I don't recall whether any shooting info was also displayed. But I suppose I could also hit the EVF button while fumbling with the power switch (I was using the E-M1)

Thanks for your feedback. I'll just have to do some shooting tests with the camera and see if I can make the problem recur. If not I'll chalk it all up to user error even though I can't quite explain it.

Chuck Norcutt