[OM] OT: SciFi Sightings

Subject: [OM] OT: SciFi Sightings
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 18:49:29 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     It's not at all uncommon to see a well-known actors in their early days in
an episode of "The Twilight Zone" from the 50's and 60's.  Yesterday I watched
the episode "Third From the Sun", which first aired on 8 January 1960.  There
was one actor I recognised right away, though I don't recall his name, and
possibly a second.  Then, towards the end, there was something else I
regognised: A spaceship.  It was circular and wedged like a discus, with a dome
at the centre of the top, and four landing legs.  The actors all ran up the
staired gangway and then raised it, and I was pretty sure what I was looking
at.  Then there the scene turned to the ship's interior with a 3-dimensional
celestial navigation system at the centre and a binocular microscope head for a
viewer, and I was certain.

     It was the spaceship from "Forbidden Planet".  Sadly, Robbie the Robot did
not make an appearance, but he did show up recently in an episode of "Big Bang
Theory".

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson