Re: [OM] Paging Moose, re. Shutter shock

Subject: Re: [OM] Paging Moose, re. Shutter shock
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 21:50:36 -0700
On 4/17/2015 2:04 PM, Peter Klein wrote:
Moose: Your post on TOP Tuesday reminded me that I wanted to ask you: What is
the state of the shutter shock issue on the E-M5 Mk. 2 and the EM-1?  I've got
the 1/8 second delay enabled on my original model E-M5 most of the time, thanks
to your suggestion. Which is fine for static subjects, but not so good for
catching a person's expression. How much have the newer models improved the
situation?

The Mark I is the only OMD with that problem. If I remember correctly, Electronic First Curtain was introduced with the E-M10 and added to the E-M1 in a firmware update. How they work in detail, I don't know.

The E-M5 II has a very transparent setting of "Zero second Anti-Shock", which uses the EFC up through 1/320 sec. and mechanical above that. So it has neither that funny sounding delayed shutter of the Mark I nor image blur from shutter shock. I'm under the impression also that the E-M1 introduced a revised shutter mechanism with less shock, but don't know what would verify.

In any case, for the vast majority of use, shock vs. delay is not a decision. The EFC, like all I know of, does introduce distortion of fast moving things. So the tires of a car speeding by may be distorted, for example. The same thing applies to other fast moving things, but is only noticeable in artificial geometrical objects.

The Mark II has a couple of other options that may be of interest. There's a Silent Mode which makes the camera actually entirely silent.

There's also a "Release Time Lag" setting, which I haven't tried:
If [Short] is selected, the time lag between fully pressing the shutter button and the
shot being taken can be shortened.* —
* This will shorten the battery life. Also make sure that the camera is not
subject to sharp
impacts while in use. Such impacts may cause the monitor to stop displaying
subjects. If
this happens, turn the power off and on again.