Re: [OM] Paging Moose, re. Shutter shock

Subject: Re: [OM] Paging Moose, re. Shutter shock
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 13:12:27 -0700
On 4/18/2015 5:40 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Thanks for mentioning the E-M1. I realized I'd never seen a menu item on shutter shock on the E-M1 and hadn't looked for it. I assumed that the shutter shock entry was gone and that use of EFC was automatic. Not so. After checking it out I realized that EFC was not enabled nor was anti-shock delay enabled. So I turned on EFC which is enabled by setting anti-shock delay to 0 (non-obvious).

Yes, Oly still seems to shy away from talking about anything to do with shutter shock. Although not made obvious, their implementation is nicer than Panny's. The GX7 and GM1, when in EFC mode simply refuse to go outside the allowed speeds. This has led me into confusion more than once, as exposure didn't change when I expected it to. Oly's naming may be goofy, but their implementation, EFC used when possible, otherwise mechanical, is superior.

Strangely, this also has the side-effect of disabling sequential shooting modes (also non-obvious).

But at least logical. The sensor system can't as yet recover, ready for an EFC shot, very fast. Likewise, the super HD mode of the E-M5 II takes about a second for the eight exposures (and another 2-3 to process.) Rumors say the next OMD (E-M1 II?) will be able to do the high rez trick, all eight exposures, in 1/60 sec. That may also allow sequential shooting with EFC?

Normally not a problem but I have been thinking about using the time-lapse mode* to catch a picture of turtles in our pond. I'll have to remember to turn off EFC when I do this. Whilst running through the menus I also discovered that I had failed to turn IS back on after having it disabled for tripod shooting. Too many things to remember for an old fart. :-)

I seem to recall Moose saying something very like "Freedom and control mean there are more ways to make errors. " That's one reason I like the E-PM2 for some uses. With no Mode Dial, touch screen and rear dial disabled, in A Mode, it has controls for only the things I want to change - and nothing else to confuse or get set wrong.

* It was a pleasant surprise to learn that the E-M1 has a built-in intervalometer which the manual refers to as time-lapse shooting. One can set the number of frames, start time delay from present, time interval between shots and whether to incorporate the shots into a movie. My old Minolta A1 could do this but this is the first camera I've ever owned since then (2005) that can do it.

The turtles in the pond sun themselves on a culvert that feeds rainwater into the pond. If the turtles see me, even if I'm 100 feet away, they all dive into the pond. I think the only way I'm ever going to get a picture of any of them is if I'm not there.

Have you tried WiFi? You may remain hidden while seeing just what you would see through EVF or on LCD, and shoot when the subject(s) are right. Oly's remote control app is less elegant looking than Panny's, but fully functional.

Full of Alternatives Moose