Re: [OM] Paging Moose, re. Shutter shock

Subject: Re: [OM] Paging Moose, re. Shutter shock
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 20:39:17 -0700
FOAM writes:
<<The GX7 and GM1, when in EFC mode simply refuse to go outside the allowed speeds.
This has led me into confusion more than once, as exposure didn't change when I expected it
to. Oly's naming may be <<goofy, but their implementation, EFC used when possible,
otherwise mechanical, is superior.
AFAIK, GM1/5 has only a EFC and can use mechanical 2nd curtain shutter for SS <= 1/500.

You're right, I have, not for the first time, confused EFC with Silent Mode -
and the way the GX1 works with the GM1.

  One can use total  e-shutter for slower speeds but why?--lose couple bits on
raw file and about a stop DR.

I've done that, but never noticed any difference. Of course, I'm the guy who will apply different amounts of NR to different areas using masks ...

EFCS on NEX can be used at high speeds too unlike Oly but can get weird
exposure errors and odd bokeh artifacts especially apparent with long FL and
wide aperture. The motion induced distortions with EFC can be quite cool--some
some of vibrating guitar strings--largely a function of the fastest  data can
be cleared is about 1/15 sec or so.  In older cams with very slow sync speeds,
same effects are seen with mechanical shutter.

I imagine it's a firmware decision. Oly leans toward making it hard or impossible to do things that result in wacko images. Probably serves the majority of their buyers well. Sony recognizes that their A7 series are selling into a different sort of buyers, by and large.

Another effect of EFCS is banding with panos but seems to be technique
dependent and perhaps SS--I move way too slow for that to occur in general
doing panos.  No flash allowed either in Sony or Oly but somehow Panny enabled
flash sync of 1/50 with GM-1/5.  I don't know about GX-7 but suspect not.  I
don't know how Panny pulled that off with a sync speed faster than the EFC can
clear data. Any idea?

Flash fires, second curtain closes, with no more light falling on it, the sensor state is fixed; lots of time to read it out?

Q & A Moose