Re: [OM] File losses

Subject: Re: [OM] File losses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 20:55:15 -0700
On 4/18/2015 5:59 PM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Some weeks after my last posting on this topic.

I dis-established
Novastore and loaded Synchback.

First problem was that their pages do
not allow scrolling or resizing and I could therefore not read their
help file on my smallish screen. I now have a pdf version.

Well, it
seems that it will be no faster than Novastore; but at least I should be
able to use Windows Explorer which is a MUST for me.

Syncback speeds
are down as low as 64 kB.sec. But have been up to 800 - 1100 KB/sec.

You have a hardware bottleneck(s). Syncback runs at whatever speed your
hardware will provide.

If, for example, I run SyncBack between my desktop and netbook+ portable using WiFi, the copy is much slower than if I connect it directly to the router with an Ethernet cable.

For your 200+ GB, copy on a healthy machine using USB 3.0 or eSATA should be
closer to an hour or two than days.

Estimated completion time is about 5 days hence - varies greatly from
time to time. But that is for only ONE of the two drives I want to back
up. Novastore allowed my to schedule two drives at once.

That is ridiculous. You might want to run down full details on your hardware and connections here, in hopes that someone will spot the problem. Or take it to a pro. HDTune can tell how fast, or slow, your drives actually are, as seen from the CPU.

When this
episode is over I'm going back to try and figure out what back-up
program I used a few months ago. It took only a few hours, and was
legible to Windows Explorer.

Hardware, not software, is my bet. I didn't know Novastore, but I know SyncBack, and it is limited only by hardware. What hardware changes have you made since then?

Contrary to what Moose wrote, I do not read all the mail these days.

I would say "In agreement with what Moose says ..."

I am somewhat disillusioned with photography at he moment;

These problems aren't photography ...

and there's so much distracting crap going on in my life that doesn't help.

I hope that gets better!

Hardware Moose