Re: [OM] Paging Moose, re. Shutter shock

Subject: Re: [OM] Paging Moose, re. Shutter shock
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 08:34:12 -0400
I don't see how flash sync shutter speed has any bearing on the amount of time the EFC takes to clear the sensor. Clearing the sensor takes place before the EFC shutter is considered open. Then it's open (instantly), the flash and ambient exposure occurs and the second curtain closes.

What's odd about the EFC is that the sensor clearing time should place a limit on the shot-to-shot delay time in the same way that a 1/8 second shutter shock delay means you can't possibly go faster than 8 frames/sec minus the shutter speed time for each exposure.

The other oddity (and I really don't know how this is handled) is the disparity in exposure times from top to bottom with electronic first curtain but mechanical second curtain. If the EFC is instantly open then the exposure starts evenly across the entire surface of the sensor. Yet, when the mechanical second curtain closes, the exposure drops unevenly across the surface as the curtain starts covering the sensor from top to bottom or bottom to top (whichever way the curtain moves). This is probably immaterial for long exposure times (relative to curtain travel time) but not immaterial for fast shutter speeds. Perhaps that's why EFC is not used at higher speeds. Or maybe EFC is not instantaneous but rather it enables rows of pixels across the sensor in a timed, rolling wave at the same speed as the mechanical first curtain. I don't know.

Chuck Norcutt