Re: [OM] Paging Moose, re. Shutter shock

Subject: Re: [OM] Paging Moose, re. Shutter shock
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 14:02:39 -0700
On 4/20/2015 9:14 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
The E-M5 was a game changer for me. I can't imagine having used the 60D for all
this time.
Me neither. Once I brought it to your attention how your 60D images stunk
up the show... :)

Don't I recall that you didn't do that until AFTER I had switched? :-)

So after a couple of years, they improve almost everything about it, why not
take advantage? It's not like they could do then what they can do now, and were
sandbagging us, or can do now what they will be able to do. They should have
waited? They've already warned those who want the high rez mode that that
function will be much quicker in the next OMD.
If it's not one thing, it's another thing... I suppose that my standards
are soo much lower AND higher. My standards for what I want in a new camera
are higher than what is currently available, and my standards for what I'm
willing to accept in an old camera are lower than what most people are
willing to accept.

A convenient excuse to be cheap? :-D

And that may be a game changer for some. The headline is "HIGHER
Resolution!!! Competitive with the Nikon D850!!!" The quieter, at least as
important subtext is about accurate color. It's been clear since the Foveon sensor
appeared that Bayer array sensors do funny things to color at the pixel level and,
of course cause moiré patterns in fine detail. The new HD
mode doesn't just move the sensor for higher rez, it moves it so that each
pixel is sampled by each of the three color sensels.
Color and image "depth" are certainly important to me. So much so that I've
been willing to accept the horrible noise and poor resolution of the E-1.
Only recently has SONY caught up to Kodak with being able to make sensors
that can rock the colors and give us immensely bendable pixels.

The extensive examples of HD images in the ImagingRecource review are really
eye opening in this regard.

Canon is an also ran in this regard. Other than the original 5D, Canon has
really
lacked in color bendability.

I think that's where I was fooled. The 5D files were really nice to work with,
and the 60Ds no so much

When they can do that in 1/60 sec., that will be revolutionary for many
uses. If I were a studio product/food/etc. photographer, I'd jump on the
Mark II. The things it does for color and weave detail in fabric are like
magic.
Especially with the deeper DoF that 4/3 gives us. That greatly improves
product photography.

I don't have any sort of full report, but they've improved/fixed pretty much
everything. The IBIS is quite noticeably better at long tele, and supposedly
for macro, too, which is a big deal for me.
I've been using the E-3 with the IBIS very heavily this year. It's not that
image-stabilization is new to me, as I've had it in my A1 and the Leica
lens. The E-3 is certainly better with IBIS enabled than turned off, but in
all honesty, that just about closes the gap with the E-1's natural
stability. It's slightly better than the E-1, but with both turned off, the
E-1 runs circles around the E-3 and the L1. The E-1 is like a precision
competition-shooting revolver. You really can hold it steady and the
shutter-release is butter smooth. While the 40-150 really needs the IBIS to
be usable (regardless of camera), any lens with any mass balances on the
E-1 so well that it is near perfect to hold steady.

You don't operate out in the same tele ozone as I. ;-) And you've apparently not experienced the latest IS systems. This is SIX stops down from 1/FF-FL. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=16774>

What it doesn't show is the improvement at more "normal" shutter speeds. I don't have examples to show as yet. But as it happens, I took almost identical hand held shots of Great White Herons feeding in the same spots last month with the Mark II as a few years ago with the E-M5 I. Same lens, same FL, 300 mm = 600 mm eq., 1/640 sec., base ISO.

Details resolved show that the new IBIS is better at high shutter speeds, as well. I'd already seen this in a number of shots, based on experience, but not a direct comparison. More proof, if needed, that higher sensor resolutions have outdated the old 1/FL rule anyway. I think it was really only valid for 8x10, maybe 11x14 prints with no or only moderate cropping, anyway.

... Although it won't satisfy AG and others who need a very deep grip or a big
brick in their hands, :-)   the grip has been subtly, but usefully, improved
for my hand.
See above. Olympus really did achieve grip perfection with the E-1.

I didn't really like it. Different hands. I chose differently for other reasons, but wasn't unhappy not to have that body, either.

Even
the knobs vs dials is one of those fine-point details that you don't really
understand how perfect they are until you have to go to a camera that uses
the standard placement

There's a standard??? I thought it was all random, changing form model to model
within brand, let alone across brand.

and you realize that the standard placement is
inferior. The EM-1 brought the knobs back and I'm just biding my time.

The original EM-5 had issues. Issues that I could not overcome. The
EM-1 addressed most of them and it's a lovely camera. The EM-5 Mk2 is
showing us that the design is maturing nicely.

At this time, I suspect that I'll build out the Four-Thirds system a bit
more with a couple of nice lenses and then sit on my hands for a bit. At
some point, I'll go full-frame digital, but I'm in no hurry. I'm really not
lacking anything. The fact is, all these cameras are more capable than this
photographer.

Not sure I agree with that assessment, not as to cameras, but as to
photographer capability. :-)

Moose D'Opinion