Re: [OM] OT: Fast Passenger Trains

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Fast Passenger Trains
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 07:56:48 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Having ridden quite a few times on the California Zephyr and the Illinois
>Zephyr, I'd suggest that 65 to 80 mph is about all that I'd want to go.

     In this country, anyway.  I rode the original French Sudest TGV many years
ago, shortly before the unit trains were overhauled and repainted silver/blue
instead of the earlier silver/orange.  At 140 MPH you could scarcely feel or
hear anything except for the occasional cycling of the air compressor.  A good
portion of the TGV system is along dedicated LGV trackage which now extends all
the way to Marseille, and there are no grade crossings or highway overpasses.
A good number of magnificent bridges.

     The technology is mature and in service all over Europe and eastern Asia.
Even South Korea has an HST, actually a French TGV derivative.  There is
presently an undersea tunnel being constructed between Denmark and Sweden, and
before long you'll be able to ride a German ICE 300/400 HST from Berlin to
Stockholm in less time than it takes to fly.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson