Re: [OM] Please remind me why I'm supposed to get excited about the late

Subject: Re: [OM] Please remind me why I'm supposed to get excited about the latest greatest
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 16:06:25 -0500
> I don't miss my 1980s cars, do you?

1989 Mazda RX7 Convertable.
1981 Toyota pickup truck

Otherwise, not really. My 1986 Pontiac Grand Am was a fantastic car,
but it wore out. If you compare a 1980's car in typical condition to a
brand new 2015 automobile, of course your analogy is appropriate. But
what if that 1980's car is in showroom condition? Honestly, I'd be
pretty happy with a 1980's BMW or Porsche in like-new condition.

Speaking of my 1981 Toyota "HiLux" 4WD truck, if you compare it to the
latest/greatest 2015 Toyota truck destined for the North American
market, you would find it to be quite primative. But Toyota is still
making that exact same 1981 truck today for much of the world with
minor updates. I prefer my BMW X5 for cruising down the highway, but
would much rather have the old Hilux for getting off the beaten path.

I'm now shooting B&W almost exclusively in the OMs. Color photography
is better with digital, but film B&W is still superior in my hands.
The nice thing about going down to shooting only B&W in the OMs is
that it simplifies the camera kit. I only need to carry one OM body
with me now.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx