Re: [OM] Please remind me why I'm supposed to get excited about the late

Subject: Re: [OM] Please remind me why I'm supposed to get excited about the latest greatest
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 01:16:07 -0500
> Because your latest-greatest has terrible artifacts at anything larger than
> the default display size?

Cellphone images, zoomed (cropped). No RAW files.

> Not all latest-greatest do that. :-)

Not even all old-schmucks do that either. :)

> Got to handle a 3Ti again recently. Lovely design, fabulous finish

Come to Iowa. I'll set you up.

> Still an unfinished OM underneath the skin deep beauty, with diaphragm
> mechanism and mirror vibrations that can't be controlled. OM-4(T(i)), even
> OMPC are more capable devices for the actual task of capturing images.

I agree that it's a slightly flawed camera system because of the
diaphragm mechanism. The mirror vibrations are actually pretty well
damped. It's that stupid aperture mechanism that stinks up the show.
The one exception is the OM-2S, which delays the later part of the
sequence and allows the camera some somewhat settle down after the
diaphragm is triggered. Fortunately, it doesn't affect all lenses and
shutter-speeds equally. Some lenses are a pain (200/4), but others are
great (100/2.8). When on a tripod, I'm usually using longer exposures
than 1/2 second, so the vibration is rarely a problem.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx