Re: [OM] OT: Fast Passenger Trains

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Fast Passenger Trains
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 14:26:18 -0500
> Haven't read it all but I'm sure it all boils down to "I don't like
trains" ;-)

Actually, I really do like trains. But the problem is that they are not an
economical alternative unless the infrastructure is either already there or
can be shared. One of the reasons why your fuel taxes are so high is to pay
for the trains. It's a false economy.

Just looking at all the ways public transit is funded in Iowa. It's very
underserved compared to most parts of the country, but a quick
back-of-the-napkin calculation, combining the local property tax levy, the
percentage of the federal and state fuel taxes and vehicle registration
fees, I'm spending over $500 per year so somebody can get to ride the bus.

That's OK, though. "social contract" and all that. Those who can, help
those who can't. But in regards to funding a high-speed rail system that
costs the taxpayer (me) well over $500 per passenger, yeah, I've got a
problem with that.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx