Re: [OM] opinions of the OM 500mm F8.0 reflex lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] opinions of the OM 500mm F8.0 reflex lens?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 20:26:41 -0700
On 4/22/2015 4:15 PM, C.H.Ling wrote:
If you need a longer reach you may consider other alternatives such as a
superzoom compact.

Yes, my little Panny ZS40 is very useful for travel pics up to 720 mm eq. I got a lot of great shots with it, from 24 to 720 mm. OTOH, it's strictly a good light camera, as the images start to fall apart past ISO 400 and the lens is slow, and even slower at the long end. Adding Raw to this iteration of their travel zoom was pure genius for me, raising the possible IQ considerably. For those who missed it, or were mesmerized by some of the subjects and paid no attention to camera and FLs ;-) - here's a selection of images that show what it can do, lots at 720-e. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/Mexico/Cabo_2015>

And the AF is an advantage over an MF mirror lens. It works quite well even at the long end. I do like to use a single focus point and am careful where I set it, often bracketing, because even on the tiny sensor with modest aperture, DoF gets pretty shallow at that magnification.

Still the attraction of large sensor IQ and high ISO performance is strong ...

The OM 500mm is a fine lens, if I have to use full frame
with a long reach, it is my only choice. The image quality is good but focus
is slow. Here are some samples but all on tripod.

http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/OMC/500_01/OM500mm_1.htm

Nice selection! Not only good bird images, but they illustrate the whole range of bokeh one encounters with mirror lenses, from fine to awful. :-)

Long For Moose