Re: [OM] opinions of the OM 500mm F8.0 reflex lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] opinions of the OM 500mm F8.0 reflex lens?
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 14:15:25 +0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

On 4/22/2015 4:15 PM, C.H.Ling wrote:
If you need a longer reach you may consider other alternatives such as a
superzoom compact.

Yes, my little Panny ZS40 is very useful for travel pics up to 720 mm eq.
I got a lot of great shots with it, from 24 to 720 mm. OTOH, it's strictly
a good light camera, as the images start to fall apart past ISO 400 and
the lens is slow, and even slower at the long end. Adding Raw to this
iteration of their travel zoom was pure genius for me, raising the
possible IQ considerably. For those who missed it, or were mesmerized by
some of the subjects and paid no attention to camera and FLs ;-) - here's
a selection of images that show what it can do, lots at 720-e.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/Mexico/Cabo_2015>

And the AF is an advantage over an MF mirror lens. It works quite well
even at the long end. I do like to use a single focus point and am careful
where I set it, often bracketing, because even on the tiny sensor with
modest aperture, DoF gets pretty shallow at that magnification.

It looked you had lots of fun with this little superzoom.

Still the attraction of large sensor IQ and high ISO performance is strong

I just got a FZ1000, with 1" sensor and F2.8-4 lens. I hope it is good
enough to works as a travel camera. Save the trouble of changing lens and
provide good enough images for low light. I know you are not interested on
such bridge camera as the size is too big but there are lots to like for me
on this one :-)

The OM 500mm is a fine lens, if I have to use full frame
with a long reach, it is my only choice. The image quality is good but
focus
is slow. Here are some samples but all on tripod.

http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/OMC/500_01/OM500mm_1.htm

Nice selection! Not only good bird images, but they illustrate the whole
range of bokeh one encounters with mirror lenses, from fine to awful. :-)

Thanks for looking, Moose. Yeah, the bokeh of reflex lens is really hard to
manage, choosing background is sometime more difficult than choosing the
subject.

C.H.Ling