Re: [OM] fast passenger trains

Subject: Re: [OM] fast passenger trains
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 17:09:00 +0300
Distances between 300 and 1000 km are exactly the sweet spot for high speed
trains, and there are plenty of important city pairs in the US within those
distances—you mention a couple in your post, plus SF-LA, obviously the whole
Northeast corridor, Jacksonville-Tampa-Miami etc. Precisely because there is
not much in-between makes the high speed rail a good option—if there are too
many stops than the average speed become too low. Between Alicante and Madrid,
a distance of 440 km, the train stops at most twice, and often just once, in
Albacete. It helps that Spain is relatively thinly populated by European
standards, with a large percentage of the population concentrated in the big
cities of Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia and Seville.

The place where high speed trains do not make sense are precisely countries
like the Netherlands or Denmark, small and densely populated. There, garden
variety trains going up to 200 km/h are plenty enough for the distances
involved.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman