Re: [OM] My MBP has broken down

Subject: Re: [OM] My MBP has broken down
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 22:08:19 -0700
On 4/23/2015 9:48 PM, ChrisB wrote:
You might have to send the SSD back and ask for a replacement, Michael.

I’ve just replaced the HDD in an old Mac Mini (2009) because a bad file (/private/var/log, I
think) caused it to hang on start.  I’ll watch the SSD that I’ve just put in and see
how the performance and temperatures go.

SSDs run cold.

Performance will depend on the existing SATA interface in the computer. If it is original SATA, as I suspect from the age, you can put a SATA 3 drive in and gain little or nothing in performance. If you luck out, and it is SATA 2 interface with a plain SATA HD, you should get some performance boost.

SATA 2 spec was released in 2004, but I don't know how quickly it was incorporated in drives and computers. Again, with a SATA 2 interface, a SATA 3 SSD will avail little in performance improvement.

The other gain should be battery life, as the SSD uses much less power.

Two Outta Three Moose