Re: [OM] Starting at beginning

Subject: Re: [OM] Starting at beginning
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 12:27:18 +0100
I have just switched from standalone LR5 to rented LR6, Jez (I have had the
rented PS CC for quite some time, but never bothered to make the LR switch
before). The Panorama merge is indeed a very useful addition to LR, and so very
much simpler and quicker than the LR-PS-LR shuffle from before (and a
high-quality DNG as a result is even better). I am not yet convinced that the
HDR merge is worthwhile - we will see. Meanwhile here are two panramas which I
knocked up yesterday in a few (unattended) minutes - much simpler than the
previous method:

But there is a significant "gotcha" in upgrading this way on Windows - if you
are logged in to the Creative Cloud "helper",  LR6 will not start! You have to
log out of (not just close down) the CC helper, then log back in. Apparently
only on Windows, not Mac.  And LR6 requires a new catalogue format - I presume
that you can't use an LR6 .cat file with a prior version of LR.

I suggest you tread warily on the iPad sync, as in my experience you will need
a blisteringly fast connection for it to make any sense at all, because the
sync - of smart previews - is via Adobe's servers (though I do not think that
any copies are retained in the cloud) and is therefore limited by your ISP's
upload speed. In my case a 0.35 Mb/s upload and 3Mb/s download was simply
unusable - it was taking *days* to sync a few hundred images.

If you have that problem, you might like to take a look at an iPad app called
PhotoSmith which syncs using your own WiFi network, although with a rather
different philosophy to LR Mobile. And the need to set up special PhotoSmith
Published Collections, rather than the normal LR collections needed for LR
Mobile.

On the other hand, if you have a sufficiently fast internet connection, LR
Mobile on the iPad is everything I had hoped for, now that I have switched ISP.
From 3/0.5 Mb/s to 7.5/3.5 MB/s is quite a jump  (you have to read that
carefully to appreciate just how big a jump) :-)

Piers