Re: [OM] Starting at beginning

Subject: Re: [OM] Starting at beginning
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 10:10:00 -0500

> But there is a significant "gotcha" in upgrading this way on Windows - if
> you are logged in to the Creative Cloud "helper",  LR6 will not start! You
> have to log out of (not just close down) the CC helper, then log back in.
> Apparently only on Windows, not Mac.  And LR6 requires a new catalogue
> format - I presume that you can't use an LR6 .cat file with a prior version
> of LR.
>
> I suggest you tread warily on the iPad sync, as in my experience you will
> need a blisteringly fast connection for it to make any sense at all,
> because the sync - of smart previews - is via Adobe's servers (though I do
> not think that any copies are retained in the cloud) and is therefore
> limited by your ISP's upload speed. In my case a 0.35 Mb/s upload and 3Mb/s
> download was simply unusable - it was taking *days* to sync a few hundred
> images.

Thank you!  I was wondering why LR6 wasn't starting.

As to the sync speeds, I absolutely agree. This is something you want to do
over WiFi and not over a metered cell 4G LTE connection which will eat up
your monthly allotment in five minutes.

But where this really comes into play is for event shoots. I'm tickled pink
with this feature for shooting events with immediate client delivery. As to
the screen accuracy, any of the latest generations of LCD/OLED screens are
VERY good.

Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.zone-10.com