Re: [OM] Lens Choices

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Choices
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 17:25:26 -0400
Yep, I spaced his original post rushing at work and just read AG's post. I
stand by my other comments on the image.

The super Tak has great rep as having very nice bokeh and "drawing style" of
the nifty 50's. The OMZ 50/2 macro is often included. Many of the other 50's
are very nice but it seems difficult to also design in nice bokeh at this FL. I
don't think the Zeiss 50 MP or C/Y 50/1.7 have nice bokeh under many
circumstances. I guess the bokeh king might be the Rokkor 58/1.2 but that isn't
quite 50. The old Sigi 50/1.4 is very good  in this regard, but AF unreliable
unless you got a good copy--and it is huge by comparison. The new 50/1.4 ART is
said to be excellent with the nice bokeh of its predecessor but again huge.
Sigi seems to have upped their game and I trust he QA is now good.  I won't
even really mention the Otus.

Mike

> JN writes:
> <<This
closeup of an Azalea cluster illustrates the smooth bokeh available at large
apertures with this lens.

<<http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Azalea.jpg.html

> It is a
nice lens on 4/3, OM body or FF digital. I never leave it home. Nicely used
here with beautiful soft background. Sharp where it needs to be.
> Though I
routinely focus stack macro shots, some of my favorite flower shots have a
modest dof--hard to get it just right, but when they work,
> they are
superb.

As I suspected*, you and AG are talking at slight cross purposes with
Jim, as he is using a "a 1971 Pentax
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50/1.4", a
lens with a wonderful reputation, but not the OMZ 50/1.4 I believe you have been

talking about. Closely related double Gauss designs, but not quite the
same.

Clarified Moose

* Memory, so useful ...

--