[OM] Post Processing Perplexity-- Approach to Sharpening/deconvolution i

Subject: [OM] Post Processing Perplexity-- Approach to Sharpening/deconvolution in layer
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 19:43:09 -0400
Seem to be in a PP rut and Bob's comment on layer blend mode for levels got me
a thinkin and a ponderin.

Perhaps should just finally get a book. Viewing tutorials prn as well as the
ocassional methodological discussions here have been deemed sufficient for now.
(the occasional in depth Moose rollovers with step by step over the years have
proven valuable)

Halos from sharpening and possibly ringing artifacts from deconvolution might
benefit form just working on luminosity data. As expected others had though of
that ages ago and a quick search showed many have recommended trial of the
luminosity blending mode for USM in a layer or creating a luminoisty mask.
https://tonykuyper.wordpress.com/2013/05/11/choosing-sides-part-2-using-luminosity-masks-to-sharpen-images/

Curiously tried LCE with luminosity blending mode in a layer and it did
increase microcontrast w/o affecting the colors--partially counterproductive,
but can see the utility for a bit of that in some images. (reminded me of some
Zeissy renditions)

I contacted Focus Magic and they had thought about that in the past just
alittle and answered back that in theory  that approach might prove useful for
some images.

Wheel re-invention, Mike