[OM] Paul's PAW - A Nice Assortment Plus Booze

Subject: [OM] Paul's PAW - A Nice Assortment Plus Booze
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 12:55:54 -0500
I drove down to Bloomington, IN this past Sunday to visit a ham friend of
mine who I haven't seen in person in 8 years. I also picked up a scanner
antenna that a friend of his was giving to me. He used to own a cafe' here
in town before he finally retired and moved down to Bloomington, and he
still enjoys cooking. Sunday dinner at his house is usually a social event
- there were various neighbors and friends there, including the other ham
who was giving me the antenna. After dinner, we sampled some of the various
varieties of whisky/whiskey/bourbon/Scotch that he had, and I grabbed a
photo of him and his furry buddy in front of his radio setup.

The first one we tasted was from Ardbeg and was a single malt Scotch that
had a heady aroma of burnt rubber, with a mouth taste and aroma of iodine.
I was informed it was from the peat that they used in the aging. I'm
guessing the marketing department probably would decide against "The Finest
Sottish Burnt Rubber, With Just a Hint of Iodine" as an advertising
slogan...

Second one was Woodford Reserve, a Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey. Much, much
smoother. No iodine, and I could actually taste a slight fruitiness. I'm
not really a whiskey fan, but I could tell the difference.

On my way back home, I stopped in Indianapolis at a Steak 'n' Shake (a
significant contrast to the fine homemade dinner earlier) to meet with my
college roommate. Barry and I keep in touch on Facebook, but haven't seen
each other in person for 23 years. We started talking and next thing we
knew, two hours had passed and we both agreed we needed to do that much
more frequently than every 20 years.

The previous Sunday was another concert at our theatre, so I've included a
couple of photos from that as well.

On my way out of town Sunday morning, I stopped by an old building that had
recently been purchased with the intent to restore it back to original
condition and use it for a variety of touristy things. The previous owners,
a jewelry store, had covered the side of the building with glued-on
architectural styrofoam, something that was unfortunately all the rage
around here in the '90s. Stripping off the foam revealed a painted-on sign
for a long-gone restaurant. I tried to get the photo years ago before they
covered it up, but didn't. Now, it's missing some parts and there is
construction adhesive over it, but enough is visible to get the idea.

First 6 photos are from those adventures. Enjoy. C&C encouraged.

Paul Braun WD9GCO
Certified Music Junkie