[OM] Photo review

Subject: [OM] Photo review
From: "Bob Benson" <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 21:19:05 -0500
Tina, I read with interest your concern about folks not looking at your
photos . no . folks not responding to your photos.  I always look and
appreciate but I haven't responded.

However,  I hope you will consider keeping on with posting, it's so helpful
to me.

But as to commenting/responding.

I find two basic reasons to comment/respond.  One is technical:  focus,
color balance, all the things we can control/adjust in the photo.  I am not
qualified to do this as I am so far behind everyone on this list in terms of
technical capabilities.

The second, however, is the "art" quality.  I look at each from the
perspective:  "would this image look well on the art gallery wall?" . and
what is it that would make it better for this.  In this area,  I find that
this becomes a view of the photographer/artist . every one of us has a
different ideal image, a set of standards we think about as we do our own
work, and consequently how we look at others' work.

This is of course a two-edged sword.  We can look / comment based on our own
approach, but of course, that would be different from yours.

Nevertheless,  I'll start doing so in the hopes it is of interest to you.

So in this particular recent collection ..
http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/cuba
<http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/cuba&page=30> &page=30 . the "view from the
malecon" is my candidate . but illustrates the basis for my remark.  I want
simplicity, particularly eliminating background as a distraction to the
image.  So even for my candidate, I would crop significantly, putting the
fellow on the left.   I would crop all these images perhaps to 2/3 of the
image.

But . this is only my perspective.   Hope it's helpful.

BB