Re: [OM] Photo review

Subject: Re: [OM] Photo review
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 11:24:36 -0500
> Thanks, Ken.  I appreciate your comments.  I totally agree that the longer
> I have to spend with a scene, the better photos I get.  If I can hang
> around until people forget that I'm taking photos, I can get closer and
> more intimate photos.  That's the kind of photography I love.   A lot of
> the hurried ones will sell just fine as stock, though. ;-)

And that's kinda the point. As stock photographers, you and both will
take photos that have little to no artistic value, whatsoever.
Cropping? Yeah, right. We tend to give the compositions a lot of
breathing room so the photos can be used for multiple purposes with
whatever crop necessary. This is especially important with the 24x36
frame format, where we sometimes get ourselves in a pickle because we
have the subjects matter too far into the right and left wings of the
frame.

The hurried ones, are important to have. The number of times somebody
will look for "Barcalona Street Scene" is a jillion times a day. They
are looking for an illustration picture, not an art picture. My best
sellers are gut wrench simple pictures of stupid things like combines
and tractors working a field. The images of the wild skies and storm
clouds? Not so much.

>From any given year, I can look and see that the majority of my
successful images were almost always taken within a couple of hours of
each other.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx